Why do some adolescents adjust or recover and others do not? Now, there is a brief tool to profile personal strengths, as well as vulnerability that is theoretically based and psychometrically sound.
Resiliency Scales for Children and Adolescents contains:
Three stand-alone scales of 19–24 questions each. Each scale contains subscales that are theoretically grounded.
- Sense of Mastery Scale: Optimism, Self-Efficacy, Adaptability
- Sense of Relatedness Scale: Trust, Support, Comfort, Tolerance
- Emotional Reactivity Scale: Sensitivity, Recovery, Impairment
Why assess resiliency?
- Build positive psychology into your assessment practice.
- Resiliency levels influence expected outcomes of many disorders.
- Resiliency skills can be taught as an intervention strategy.
- Patterns of strengths within the resiliency domain (mastery, relatedness, reactivity) can influence intervention goals.
- Children with depression or anxiety may have different prognoses and lengths of care depending on their level of resiliency.
- Victims of school bullying may respond differently depending on their resiliency profile.
- Course of care may vary with resiliency profile for children with adjustment reactions to divorce, loss, or other life events.
- Teens with posttraumatic stress disorder may respond differently depending on their resiliency profile.
- Use together with any symptom based measure to obtain a balanced view of the teen.
Resiliency Scales for Children and Adolescents is ideal for the clinical or school psychologist, social worker or counsellor because it is
- Use separately, together, or in conjunction with any symptom-based measure to obtain a balanced view of the teen.
Child and Adolescent friendly
- Allows children to focus on strengths as well as symptoms and vulnerabilities.
- Results easily interpreted and discussed with adolescents, teachers and parents.
- May be used to start assessment to establish rapport and to initiate a positive helping relationship.
- Quickly screens for personal strengths.
- Normed with the Beck Youth Inventories-Second Edition, to link a Resiliency Profile with specific symptoms for more targeted treatment planning.
- Helps clinician generate and prioritize intervention strategies.
- Systematically benchmark and monitor responses to interventions in terms of strength enhancement as well as symptom reduction.