BASC-3 Behavioral and Emotional Screening System (BASC-3 BESS)
Brief, universal screening system for measuring behavioral and emotional strengths and weaknesses in children and adolescents.
Test Forms & Reports
Age range: 2 years to 18 years 11 months (Teacher and Parent); 8 years to 18 years 11 months (Self-Report)
Qualification level: B M
Administration time: 5 - 10 minutes
Administration type: Q-global Web-based Administration, Scoring, and/or Reporting, or Manual Scoring.
Assessing the behavioural and emotional functioning of children and adolescents can be an effective tool in promoting student success. Academic problems, along with problems associated with developing and maintaining positive relationships with others, can be the result of underlying behavioural and emotional deficits that, when caught early, can be corrected before negatively affecting a child or adolescent.
The BASC-3 Behavioural and Emotional Screening System offer a reliable, quick, and systematic way to determine behavioural and emotional strengths and weaknesses of children and adolescents in preschool through high school. This comprehensive screening system consists of brief forms that can be completed by teachers, parents, or students, providing one of the most comprehensive and efficient tools available today.
Using this tool
The BASC-3 Behavioral and Emotional Screening System is designed for use by schools, mental health clinics, pediatric clinics, communities, and researchers to screen for a variety of behavioural and emotional disorders that can lead to adjustment problems.
The system includes three forms, which can be used individually or in any combination:
- Teacher form with two levels: Preschool (for ages 3-5) and Child/Adolescent (for School Years K-12)
- Student self-report form with one level: Child/Adolescent (for School Years 3 through 12)
- Parent form with two levels: Preschool (for ages 3-5) and Child/Adolescent (for School Years K-12)
Each form ranges from 25 to 30 items, requires no formal training for the raters, and is easy to complete.
- Administration options include paper-pencil or Q-global online administration. Score by hand, or scoring reporting online through Q-global
- Online Group-level administration mode for self-report form
Results include the following:
- Teacher, Parent and Self-Report forms
- Behavioural and Emotional Risk Index (Teacher, Parent, Student)
- Externalising Risk Index (Teacher, Parent)
- Internalising Risk Index (Teacher, Parent, Student)
- Adaptive Skills Risk Index (Teacher, Parent)
- Self-regulation Risk Index (Student)
- Personal Adjustment Risk Index (Student)
Please note, only the Behavioural and Emotional Risk index is available with digital scoring.
The BASC-3 Behavioral and Emotional Screening System has been normed on a representative sample that closely matches recent U.S. Census population characteristics. T scores and percentiles are available for the general population.